Knee replacement surgery in Hyderabad Secunderabad
Understanding your knee
When it is healthy, the knee is a remarkable mechanism. In a healthy knee, a layer of cartilage covers the surface of the joint allowing smooth motion.
When arthritis intrudes; however, the protective layer of cartilage in the knee gradually wears away, becoming frayed and rough, making it painful to move the joint. The knee then becomes unable to effectively cushion the body from impact and stress. The result is a painful joint that can gradually hamper your quality of life, reduce your independence, and make it hard – or impossible – to do the things you want to do.
Causes of knee pain and indications of knee replacement
The most common cause of chronic knee pain and disability is arthritis.
- Osteoarthritis - age related wear and tear of the cushion (Cartilage)
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Post-traumatic arthritis
There are several reasons why your doctor may recommend knee replacement surgery. People who benefit from total knee replacement often have:
- Severe knee pain or stiffness that limits your everyday activities, including walking, climbing stairs, and getting in and out of chairs.
- Moderate or severe knee pain while resting, anytime of the day.
- Chronic knee inflammation and swelling that does not improve with rest or medications
- Knee deformity — a bowing in or out of your knee
What is knee replacement surgery ?
Total Knee Replacement is the surgical removal of the damaged joint and replacing it with an artificial joint that is attached to the thigh bone (femur) and the shinbone (tibia).
This is known as a prosthesis or an implant. In most cases, bone cement is used to fix the artificial joint to the thigh and shinbone.
Why is knee replacement recommended?
Knee replacement is recommended when the knee joint and cartilage is too worn out damaged due to any of the above-mentioned causes.
Without the replacement, the pain is going to be persistent and can lead to deformity of the knee. This can also put your body of a higher risk of strain on other body parts and joints.
How is the surgery done?
We will discuss with you the most suitable type of prosthesis for your condition and health. The knee replacement surgery usually takes 45-90 mins and the physiotherapy starts on the same day which will help increase the blood flow to muscles.
We remove the damaged cartilage and bone from the knee to replace with metal and plastic molded implants. The new implants make the joint movements smooth enabling them to work freely and relieving you of the pain caused earlier.
The hospital stay post surgery is going to be 1-2 days or longer.Post operative pain will be managed by an experienced pain management team. Our pain management protocol includes pre-emptive analgesia, multi-model analgesia and certain nerve block techniques.
Any risks or side effects of the surgery
Knee replacement surgery is safe for most people but comes with some risk as in any other surgery.
- Blood clots in the veins of the leg.
- Prosthetic problems like loosening and instability.
It’s important to stay connected with us post your surgery through regular visits and checkups as prescribed and needed.
Post-operative care & recovery
More than 90% of people who have total knee replacement surgery experience a dramatic reduction of knee pain and a significant improvement in the ability to perform common activities of daily living. You can move around with the help of a walker or crutch. Your activities have to be controlled and would need help for the next two months.
As suggested by use and your physio therapist, you need to be active and do exercises and regular activities in moderate levels. Jumping, running, cycling or any activity which can put excess pressure on the joints are best to be avoided. Your healing will depend on multiple factors before you can resume your normal activities, we should be consulted before taking any further steps
After surgery, make sure you also do the following:
- Participate in regular light exercise programs to maintain proper strength and mobility of your new knee
- Take special precautions to avoid falls and injuries. If you break a bone in your leg, you may require more surgery
- See your orthopaedic surgeon periodically for a routine follow-up examination and x-rays, usually once a year
Reach out to us if you have
- Redness, swelling or warmth around the cut
- Leakage from the cut
- Fever and chills
- Severe knee pain that is not relieved by prescribed painkillers
- Sudden sharp pain and clicking or popping sound in the knee joint
- Loss of control over leg movement
- Loss of leg movement
- Any other surgeries planned ahead
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Is the any other option to knee replacement surgery
It depends on the condition of the joints and tissues around which can be diagnosed through x-rays and other tests. Medication and pain killers will be tried to relive you of the pain but if it doesn’t subside, knee replacement will be the option.
2. How much does it cost to get a knee replacement surgery?
The average cost of knee replacement in India is between 1.5 lakhs to 4 lakhs depending on multiple factors like method of surgery, choice of implants, hospitals charges and amenities opted for, etc.
3. Will my knee be able to work like before?
The success rate of knee replacement surgery is very high but its important for you to have realistic expectations. There will be a substantial reduction in pain and increased mobility post the surgery but its not going to have the same function as your natural knee. Its important for you to exercise, maintain weight and follow up with us on your recovery
4. Do I need to take any precautions post my knee replacement surgery?
Yes, the new knee should not be having excess pressure till the complete recovery period. You need to follow the doctors and physio’s advice thoroughly to ensure your healing is faster.
5. How much time does it take for the knee replacement surgery and recovery?
The surgery takes 2-4 hours or more depending on the patients case. The patient needs to stay in the hospital for a day or two during which physiotherapy will begin. Total recovery can take upto 8 – 10 weeks.
6. Will my insurance cover the cost of the knee replacement surgery?
Click here to know more about insurance at Yashoda hospitals.